RTX anti-mining clamp broken?


We all knew it was onlya matter of time, but it happened in a somewhat unexpected way. In effect, 100% of the mining potential of RTX LHR (Low Hash Rate) can now be used to mine cryptos. For those who have trouble visualizing, this simply means that for mining, a “normal” RTX and an LHR will produce the same returns…But beware, it’s not that simple.

Nvidia RTX 3080 mining

A broken clamp, really?

It was known that some platforms had been able to unlock a large part of the mining potential (from 50 to sometimes 70%) of LHRs. But T-Rex changes the game even if the recipe is not so simple on paper. This new miner allows you to allocate 70% of the power of an RTX LHR ( but also of another one ) to the mining of a crypto-currency that is not Ethereum. With this 70% capacity, you can therefore mine cryptos such as Ergo (ERG), Ravencoin (RVN) or Cornflux (CFX). The remaining 30% will be allocated to Ethereum mining. In this way, 100% of the card’s potential is exploited. So on the one hand, Nvidia will be able to say that its clamping (which mainly targeted only Ethereum) remains effective. The mining enthusiasts will still have to dig a little harder to manage multiple currencies, exchange rates, earnings… In short, much less simple for the miner of Sunday.

Still hopes to perpetuate the investment of miners?

For the others, this technique opens new perspectives. Indeed, there are many uncertainties about the future change of the Ehereum protocol. The shift to a “proof of work” (POW) protocol to a “proof of participation” (POS) protocol, should significantly reduce the use of GPUs for mining this crypto-currency. The breakdown of a card’s potential across multiple cryptos therefore allows owners of a mining “park” to feel that their investment could continue to produce gains for some time to come. So hope on the one hand for those most committed to mining and who think that this “industry” will endure but also, and above all, accumulation of constraints. Indeed, each crypto requires a different mining technique, and more generally, a different use of VRAM. Coming back to our RTX Ampere cards, a sorting will be done because the most profitable ones so far (RTX 3070 for example) will not be able to handle all the different combinations. Let’s take the case of Ethereum and Ergo mining. In this combination, the process requires more than 8 GB of VRAM, while the combination of Ethereum with Ravencoin or Cornflux will require more than 10 GB of VRAM. This essentially means that the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and GeForce RTX 3070 will not work with the T-Rex dual mining feature because they only have 8GB of GDDR6 memory. Without practicing crystal ball reading, it seems increasingly clear that the golden age of mining is coming to an end for most.